For me, the dangers surrounding gas fired appliances and exhaust are very real. When I was just six years old I lost my mother to carbon monoxide poisoning. I still struggle with this loss each and every day. I will never forget that day and what happened or how it has changed the course of my life. While there is nothing I could have done as a child to change any of it, I must tell you of the joy and great sense of pride and purpose it gives me to work with Lanz Heating and Cooling to help educate others now of these dangers. I feel it gives me a chance to pay it forward in a sense and use my knowledge and past experiences to help all of you. I often think back to the first time I felt like I really made a difference while working for Lanz Heating and Cooling.
Early in my career as a technician I met a couple that had transferred to our campus for work from the Atlantic coast. The wife had been sick for the entire three months in our great state. Not knowing why, they went about their business but did set up an appointment to have the furnace in their home maintained. Routine maintenance showed everything to be okay and I would guess a very large number of HVAC companies would have given it the okay not knowing there really was a problem because everything was functioning properly. The end result of this story is why we here at Lanz don’t just look to make sure it’s “operational.” There is so much more to it than that. Upon further investigation I found several rings to have popped off the heat exchanger causing it to not draft properly and allow these toxic fumes into the home. THIS had been causing her to be sick! She had been to the doctor multiple times and tried many over the counter medicines for her symptoms. Once we shut down her furnace and replaced the heat exchanger the headaches stopped. The other symptoms went away too. I felt I had truly helped them and I could tell they felt that way too.
I realize there is nothing more frustrating than coming home from a hard day of work or waking up in the morning only to find your home is super hot or freezing cold. Those calls to the service companies are always difficult. It gives me satisfaction seeing the relief set in for the homeowner and the shoulders begin to lighten once they realize that we have taken care of everything. But fixing it is not enough. You need to know that we truly care about you and your family’s well being. This is why we don’t just come out to fix the problem. There is so much more going on in your home than just that box that sits in your basement or mechanical room.
My name is Jake Farmer and I am a NATE Certified residential technician at Lanz Heating and Cooling. It is an honor to serve you and I sincerely appreciate each and every encounter with all of you, from those I have seen every season for the past few years, to those I will meet tomorrow. Thank you for the opportunity to take care of you and your family.